January 2017 Newsletter
Putnam Gordon, P.C. is the top Bay Area law firm for startups and businesses. Founded in 2012 for sophisticated entrepreneurs and executives intent on leveraging their resources and scaling their businesses, our attorneys provide the highest caliber legal services without the excesses of a large firm.
(This newsletter contains general information–not legal advice.)
The firm’s personnel enjoyed the holiday season and the opportunity to spend time with friends and family. Now that the new year has begun we are, as always, glad to work with you regarding your legal needs. Don’t forget to consider some of these items:
Maintaining Corporate Formalities
- Corporations typically require annual shareholder meetings to, among other things, elect the directors and officers. Don’t forget to have yours.
- Unless you are in a general partnership, don’t describe your position or your company as a “partner.” You don’t want to inadvertently open up personal liability for yourself or subject your company to liability, to which it would otherwise be insulated.
- If you have a Delaware corporation, don’t forget to file your annual report. With that in mind, there are two ways to calculate the franchise tax that’s due. You’ll want to use the method that results in the lowest amount.
- We love working with clients on their corporate strategy and long-term business planning. Work with us to get your company properly positioned in the new year for joint ventures, financings, and mergers & acquisitions.
Recent Endeavors Include:
- Convertible debt financings.
- Establishment of US-based subsidiaries for foreign-based technology clients.
- Jason’s skydiving team, HardPoints, winning a silver medal in skydiving at the United States Parachute Association’s U.S. National Championship. (Click on a photo to see a video of their place-winning jumps.)
Jason (on the left) competed in the 2016 USPA National Skydiving Championships. His team placed second, right behind the Air Force team in the 2-way mixed formation advanced section. The 2016 National Championships drew more than 500 skydivers from across the country to complete in various skydiving disciplines.
Recent and upcoming speaking engagements:
- In November, Jason gave an online presentation to entrepreneurs and consultants on mergers and acquisitions and entity formation.
- In December, Jason gave an online presentation to entrepreneurs and consultants on startups, startup funding, and seed funding issues.
- Join Jason on January 12, at 12:00 PM PST for an online presentation on Series A Funding: https://www.meetup.com/Silicon-Valley-Startup-Idea-to-IPO/events/236271728/
We continue to update and add content to our new site. If you haven’t visited already, click on the links below to visit areas of interest on our new site!
The Putnam Gordon P.C. blog is updated on a regular basis with articles, videos, announcements about the practice, and other interesting content in our field. Be sure to check back often!